It's October and that means that Halloween is on its way! We love any excuse to celebrate around the office. However, we wouldn't be a good insurance agency if we didn't give a few good liability insurance tips for your home, too.
You've heard most Halloween advice over and over, but it's worth repeating:
• Pack a flashlight for when it gets dark.
• Make sure your young child (under 10) is accompanied by an adult; older children who aren’t with an adult should stay in groups of three or more.
• Put reflective tape on children's costumes..
• Check the candy they have collected before letting them eat any.
• Too much candy that night means a tummy ache or trouble sleeping. Set a limit.
But what about the risks at your home?
Your homeowners insurance covers you if someone is injured on your property. But there are a few things you can do to prevent accidents before they happen:
1. Change your lightbulbs. Is your porch light burned out? What about lights along the sidewalks? Good lightning will help prevent children (and adults) from tripping.
2. Clear hazards. Tree limbs in your yard? A hole you've been meaning to fill? These are all potential hazards that could cause an injury and subject you to a liability claim. Clean them up before you have people trick-or-treating at your home!
3. No open flames. While candle-filled pumpkins are fun to make, they can be dangerous, too. If you use any open flame candles, make sure they are up high and away from any loose costume pieces.
4. Secure your pets. Pets, especially protective dogs, can be startled by the noise and costumes of approaching trick-or-treaters. Make sure you secure them in the house or back yard so they don’t suddenly get "spooked" and attack or injure any of the children.
5. Don't overdo your "tricks". While it’s always fun to have a few “tricks” in addition to the “treats” for unsuspecting kids, make sure you don’t create a trick that could cause bodily injury. Deliberate tripping hazards, falling objects or open flames should be avoided.
And the easiest way to protect yourself? Make sure you have plenty of liability insurance! Call SAV-ON today @ 888-867-2866 to schedule a free review and detailed explanation of how we can keep your home and family protected. It won't be scary at all!