Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster?

Whether it’s the recent landslides we’ve experienced in the Northwest, the tornados that ripped through the Midwest, or the wildfires that are raging in Southern California, it seems like Mother Nature is behaving at her worst these days.

Are you prepared in the event a natural disaster strikes where you live? There are a number of things you can do to prepare, so that you can make the best of a bad situation and get the help needed to start the recovery.

Inventory Your Belongings

Take a full inventory of all personal belongings. This will help the claims process go more smoothly if they are damaged in a natural disaster. Making a video of your home and garage will give you visual evidence during the claims process. Remember to put this inventory in a fireproof safe or safety deposit box so it doesn’t get destroyed should disaster strike!

Use Technology

The American Red Cross offers free disaster safety apps for mobile phones that help homeowners prepare for a natural disaster, stay up-to-date on the latest wildfire news and find a shelter in their area, should they need to evacuate.

Put a Supply Kit Together

Encourage customers to put together a basic supply kit for wildfires and other natural disasters. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a list of recommended items on its website, plus tips on maintaining the kit, where to store it and more.

Safeguard Your Home

Protect your property with tips from FEMA or The Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety, including how to create defensible space, protect patios and decks, and more.

If you’re in an area susceptible to wildfires, tornadoes, floods or landslides, you can take steps to protect your property and your family. Check out for tips on how to prepare, survive and get emergency assistance in the event a natural strikes.

Make Sure You've Covered

Having an effective insurance plan that can help you replace and rebuild after being the victim of a natural disaster is extremely important. Standard homeowners insurance will not cover many natural disasters, so if you’re in an earthquake zone, near a landslide-prone hill or a low-lying area near a body of water, call SAV-ON Insurance and make sure you’re covered should they occur. It’s protection you can’t afford to pass up!

Friday, May 9, 2014

Summer is Coming! Make Sure Your Boats, RVs and Cycles are Ready and Properly Insured

Before we know it there will be Memorial Day barbecues and weekends at the lake or park.  Time to get the boat, RV or motorcycle out of storage and ready for action!

That's why now it's also a great time to review extra insurance coverage on all of your summer ‘toys’.  Read below for things to consider and review with your insurance agent before the big items come out of winter storage.

RV insurance
RV - Your motorhome or travel trailer needs insurance coverage, especially if you'll be driving or pulling it this year.  Even if you don't have a loan on your RV, you will want it covered for theft or damage.  Whether they are parked on a lake lot for the season or driving across the country, SAV-ON offers several RV policies to fit your needs.  Just call us for a quote: 888-867-2866.

boat insurance
Boat - The same thing goes for your boats and jet skis.  You've made a big investment and it's important to protect them.  Not only should you worry about damage to your boat, but also make sure you have the proper amount of liability coverage.  Don’t forget your life jackets!

In addition,Washington state requires that you also will take and pass a Boater Education Course before you can legally get out on the water in your boat or personal watercraft. If you're 59 years of age or younger, you must pass the online test and receive a Boater Education Card.  The one-time fee for the boater's card is $39.95. Visit the state's website to get started:

- Ready to hit the road for a long drive?  Remember to brush up on your safety skills and always wear a helmet.  Don’t forget to make sure your motorcycle has liability coverage just like your vehicle!  We can help you determine what coverage you need. 

Motorcycle insurance
Swimming Pool - If you own a pool, then you need extra liability coverage including a personal umbrella policy.  Why?  Because there is a lot more risk of someone being injured when you have a pool.  Don’t skimp on your coverage and make sure you have the pool area secured and safe. 

Summer is a lot more fun when you know that your high-priced recreational vehicles are properly insured and protected.  It only takes a few minutes to call us for a quote or to review your current coverage.  Call SAV-ON Insurance at 888-867-2866 today and be prepared for summer fun!