The holidays have officially arrived! And for many of us that means shopping, gifting, decorating, partying and traveling. And a whole lot of it!
• Be careful with a live Christmas tree. Real trees are beautiful, but can be hazardous. Water your tree daily and turn the lights off at night and when you won’t be home to avoid a house fire. A dry tree can explode into flames and cause a lot of damage.
• Don’t leave gifts in your car! A lot of people don’t realize that items in their car are NOT covered by auto insurance. While property off-premises is covered by home and renters insurance, it is typically subject to a much higher deductible. If you must leave anything in the car, put it in the trunk and lock the doors.
• Traveling out of town? Don’t make it too obvious! Leave lights on in the house, stop your mail, and leave your number with a trustworthy neighbor who will keep an eye on your home. Posting your out-of-town trip on social media such as Facebook and Twitter is only inviting trouble, since it's an open invitation for a burglar.
• Make sure to keep an updated insurance card in your car when you travel. Not only is it good to have if you get pulled over, since failure to produce it can result in a fine, but all the information you need is in one place if you were to have a claim.
• Received some special jewelry for Christmas? Make sure to call us! We’ll review all of your options to make sure it is properly covered and protected.
And most important? Have a safe and joy-filled holiday!
Merry Christmas from all of us at SAV-ON Insurance Agencies