Here are a few things you can do this fall to keep everything in tip-top shape!
- Gather firewood – If you plan to build fires in the winter, then now is the time to start gathering up that firewood. You’ll be glad you did when you’re nice and warm in front of the fireplace!
- Close or install storm windows. Make sure they are sealed well to keep the cold from seeping in (and the heat from escaping).
- Store outdoor furniture and cushions. They’ll last longer if you protect them during seasons they aren’t being used. Plus, it will keep pesky squirrels and birds out of your outdoor cushions!
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set clocks back in the fall! Change the batteries, too.
- Clean gutters and downspouts. This can protect the exterior of your home as well as your roof! Leaves and needles may have accumulated during the summer, and when the rains hit, it can cause downspouts to backup and spill water down your siding and weaken your home's foundation.
- Check windows and doors for weather-tightness and install weather stripping where needed.
- Clean the oven & stove drip pans.
- Have problem trees trimmed. Winter can bring cold windstorms or even ice storms. A old or overgrown tree can be a danger to fall in this inclement weather and cause extensive property damage!
Regular maintenance of your home (and vehicles) helps prevent BIG issues later! What other items do you like to take care of in the fall? Leave a comment and let us know.