Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Does smoking affect AUTO insurance??

We got a really interesting question from one of the kids at the driving school last week (for more details, check out the 11/12/08 post on our teen blog www.savon-teendriver.blogspot.com). A young woman asked "I heard that smoking can make your insurance higher?" I replied that I'd never heard of anything like that...we certainly don't have any companies that surcharge for smoking (unless it's a life insurance policy which is a whole 'nother ballgame). But I decided to look into it...

I found that some companies do surcharge for a home policy...which makes sense. A smoker runs a higher risk of burning down the house. I'm sure you've heard stories in the news about a house or apartment catching fire and the cause was a lit cigarette. You also have to take into account that smoking inside your home will lower its value and the value of your possessions (due to the smell and damage caused by the smoke) which, in turn, could affect your premium of a renters or condo policy.

And evidently, auto premiums can be higher for smokers due to the fact that smokers tend to be more reckless drivers.

Again, I've never run into this problem with any of our companies we represent and I was unable to find out what states this affects. Has anyone else heard of this?


Thank you to www.ampminsure.org

4 comments:

SAV-ON Insurance said...

That's wonderful to hear. We always appreciate feedback!

Anonymous said...

Yeah but the thing is I was filling out an online form for car insurance just to get a quote because I'd like to see how much it would cost for a new teenage driver in my circumstances and smoking was on the list now naturally my first though was to lie about this then realising the risk of getting caught I done some research on this to find out what the difference is (y'know, weighing the pros and cons) but every time I type does smoking affect car insurance into google it only came up with life insurance so after an hour of frustration I just give up but I'd still like to know because if it adds hundreds to my policy I'd rather lie and just not smoke in the car... ALSO did you know that your school grades can even affect your insurance!?

SAV-ON Insurance said...

Thanks for the great post!
I'm interested in which state you are in because in Washington (where we are located,) smoking does NOT affecting your auto insurance rates.

Smoking absolutely DOES affect life insurance rates, however! Most companies will ask if you have smoked in the last year.

Nichole

Anonymous said...

The first priority if you are involved in an accident is to check yourself and all the others involved for injuries. Calling an ambulance sooner rather than later always gets the best results.auto insurance quotes