Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Don't Let Halloween Get Scary...Make Sure Your Home is Safe for Trick-or-Treaters
Here at SAV-ON Insurance we love any excuse to celebrate, but Halloween is an especially fun time around the offices. However, we wouldn't be a good insurance agent if we didn't give a few good liability tips too.
You've heard most Halloween advice over and over, but it bears repeating:
• Pack a flashlight for when it gets dark.
• Put reflective tape on children's costumes.
• Check the kid's candy before letting them eat any.
But what about the risks at your home?
Your homeowners insurance covers you if someone is injured on your property. But there are a few things you can do to prevent accidents before they happen!
1. Change outdoor light bulbs. Is your porch light burned out? What about lights along pathways? Good lightning will help prevent children (and adults) from tripping and injuring themselves.
2. Clear hazards. Tree limbs in your yard? A hole you've been meaning to fill? Loose or worn steps? These are all potential hazards that could cause an injury and subject you to a liability claim. Clean them up before you have people trick-or-treating at your home!
3. No open flames. While candle-filled pumpkins are fun to make, they can be dangerous, too. If you use any open flame candles, make sure they are up high and away from any loose costume pieces. Many costumes aren't flame retardant, and can burst into flames easily.
And the easiest way to protect yourself? Make sure you have plenty of liability insurance! Call SAV-ON Insurance today at 888-867-2866 to schedule a free review and detailed explanation of how we can keep your home and family protected.