It’s the time of year when the weather gets cold and the roads get icy. Winter is almost here, and we’d like to share a few things to get you prepared before the winter storms hit!
• Drinking water
• Canned/no-cook food
• Non-electric can opener
• Prescription medicine as needed
• First Aid kit
• Bag of cat litter or sand to add traction on walkways
• Battery-powered lamps
• Carbon Monoxide and smoke alarms in working order
And what about when bad weather hits? Here are a few things to put on your winter storm checklist:
• Leave water taps slightly open so they drip to prevent frozen pipes.
• Open kitchen cabinet doors under the sink to keep the pipes warm.
• Have an alternate heat source in case the power goes out. If it’s the fireplace, make sure you have plenty of dry firewood.
The most important thing you can do? Be prepared! A benefit to winter storms is that you generally have plenty of warning that one is on the way. Don’t wait until the roads are icy and dangerous. Get your supplies packed, your pipes protected, and a backup plan in case of a power outage.
And make sure that you have great homeowners insurance to protect you from winter’s blast! We can help with that. Call SAV-ON at 888-867-2866 for a free quote today.